Monday, May 19, 2008

A identified

Well, I have discovered the identity of A. The fact that he was/is (I don't want to presume anything, but it's up to him) a close friend of mine hurts a little bit, especially with the harsh language used. But I'll put that up to hyperbolic writing, just like mine and go from there.

There is a particular point in the letter that I did not respond to in my last post, and I would like to get to it now, since it has been nagging at me all morning.
'To someone like you, who knows the Gospel and has professed Christianity for a time, and then rejects it, the only thing you can be sure of is a fearful expectation of judgment. It will be terrible for you, especially if you lead any other helpless person astray.'

Aside from the apparent disgust and disdain that this paragraph contains, which hurt on a more personal level, what really bothers me about this is the part about leading people astray. First off, I am well aware of the line about causing others to sin. But come on! "Helpless?" Since when are Christians helpless? Since when is anyone helpless? Was I helpless once? Is that how Christians see themselves? As lambs in a flock just milling about harmlessly and foolishly, hoping that an evil hunter (that'd be me, I suppose) shoots one in the soft and unprotected neck?

No. We are all in this together. I am a part of everyone's landscape just as everyone else is a part of mine. Each person has to be responsible for their own actions. How unfair does god get to be? So when I get to hell, I will be responsible for those that I influenced, but do I get any mitigation for those who influenced me? Is this all some crazy pyramid scheme of blame?

I'm glad that A is happy to believe that his beloved god is willing to pick and choose those who he will reward and those he will punish. I guess, if I thought that he were real, I might want to cast my lot in behind him, no matter how evil and unpredictable he might be. For a group that claims to take their morals from an immutable and perfect source, Christians sure are willing to hide behind their god's unfair tactics. Might makes right, I suppose.

Now for some disclosure: The post that started all of this was also posted in a Christian Facebook group. Admittedly intended to ruffle some feathers, although the length of the post would have deterred all but those most determined to be offended. I would have mentioned this earlier, but I didn't realize that A had replied to the post on Facebook until several hours after this morning's post.

1 comment:

a said...

You can safely find-and-replace all of the 'A' references to 'Andrew Jarvis' in the blog (with the exception of the big red one in the right margin). I didn't mean to be mysterious with the 'A'. It's just the way that my google account signed my name. I had never posted to a blog with my google account before this one, so I thought it was pretty retarded when it did not let me sign manually. And as you said, the Facebook entry had my clear identity.

About the post, let's be honest:

You do not hate any faith as much as you hate the Christian faith, and I believe you admitted as much in not so many words. You could say that this is just a result of your own rebellion against a childhood upbringing, or a desire to break away into your own identity. You could say lots of things to help your mind and conscience cope with the fact that you have left the faith and trampled it underfoot. And in exchange for what? Is life just so fulfilling now as you await the fruits of what you have sown? Are you just brimming with happiness and peace about the future?

What you detect in the paragraph about leading someone astray is not a tone of disgust or disdain. It is a sober warning, and the same that Jesus gives:

"If anyone causes one of these little ones who believe in me to sin, it would be better for him to have a large millstone hung around his neck and to be drowned in the depths of the sea."

And again, the warning given in the book of Hebrews (ch 10) for any who has rejected God as you have done:

"If we deliberately keep on sinning after we have received the knowledge of the truth, no sacrifice for sins is left, but only a fearful expectation of judgment and of raging fire that will consume the enemies of God. Anyone who rejected the law of Moses died without mercy on the testimony of two or three witnesses. How much more severely do you think a man deserves to be punished who has trampled the Son of God under foot, who has treated as an unholy thing the blood of the covenant that sanctified him, and who has insulted the Spirit of grace? For we know him who said, "It is mine to avenge; I will repay," and again, "The Lord will judge his people."It is a dreadful thing to fall into the hands of the living God."

I am saying that to keep you from more harm than is already awaiting you. If you decide to fight against Christianity as you do, then take caution at His warning if not mine.

I am not up for cute little turns of phrase in writing to you. I am all seriousness with you. I don't have the power to convert you, but I can give you a sincere warning.

In regards to your replies and our friendship: you still have my prayers and concern. We can still talk and reminisce and ignore the dead stinking elephant in the room. But I would urge you to reconsider your life. Call my candid response to you 'tough love' or whatever you feel like.

God has every right to send people to Hell. He hardened the pharaoh's heart just for that purpose. Would you not learn from that example?