Tuesday, June 10, 2008

Pleasures of the flesh

It's been over a month and I'm still a vegetarian. Since my decision was based more on moral concerns than on health concerns (60/40, I'd say) it's been a bit of a process figuring out where I will draw the lines. As I refuse to go vegan, my rules have to be somewhat arbitrary. Aside from some sushi, which I am still deliberating the use of, occasional restaurant items that were cooked in meat stock and a chocolate bar with bacon, I have not eaten any meat.
And thanks to Morningstar brand foods, I have not even been tempted.














And I don't mean to come off trying to look morally superior, but this dog (my Greyhound, Julian) is one of the very big reasons that I am a vegetarian. I see the eyes of cows and sheep and pigs - even chickens - and I recognize that they are just animals. But I also see my dogs and see that they are animals too. I know how the world works, how life is brutal, short and mean, how life only exists because of death. But just because I can eat meat to live does not mean that I have to. And when I see my dogs (both of whom are unrepentant carnivores) I know that I have made the right choice.

No comments: