Tuesday, July 1, 2008

Defining terms

The recent edition of the Pew Forum has apparently revealed that 21% of atheists believe in god (I did not find that in the poll, but found it cited on a different blog). Susan Jacoby has written an essay about it. I have to say that I agree with her: an atheist that believes in god is not an atheist. He or she is just confused about the term.

So I want to be clear and make sure there is nothing ambiguous about my stance. I do not believe in god. Therefore, I am an atheist. I did not 'become' an atheist because it was cool or this year's must-have philosophical accessory, but because, after careful research and thought, I have concluded that the chances of god existing are extremely slim.

There you go.

1 comment:

Allison Jarvis said...

William Dembski has written The Design Inference (Cambridge University Press). He points out that many well-known scientists must constantly suppress the suspicion that there is design (poiema) in the universe. For example, he quotes Richard Dawkins, an "arch-Darwinian" who says, "Biology is the study of complicated things that give the appearance of having been designed for a purpose." And he quotes Francis Crick, the co-discoverer of DNA, who says, "Biologists must constantly keep in mind that what they see was not designed, but rather evolved."

"In other words, to use the words of the apostle Paul, the manifest truth of God's poiema - God's "designed things" - must be constantly suppressed, lest scientists be brought face to face with their Maker and have to glorify him as God and give him thanks as dependent creatures.(John Piper)"


-Allie