Thursday, September 11, 2008

Education is important

I was listening to NPR on the way home yesterday and was enraged by a parade of foolishness. They were doing a semi-scientific study about race and voting, which I did not have a problem with. But some of the comments made by the participants really bothered me. This is not the first time that I have heard these comments made by uninformed fools and it is evident that it is really a problem.

One lady was voting for McCain because she thought that Obama was Muslim. She said that the only way to stop being Muslim was to die, and since he was still alive... her logic is bulletproof. NPR did mention that he has stated, on numerous occasions, that he is not now, nor has he ever been anything but a Christian. But, said the uninformed, she did not believe him. Fair enough - politicians have to take skepticism and mistrust in stride. It goes with the territory. But that reveals more about her own fear of Islam than anything else.

The next comment that I hear too much of is the dismissive "he was just a community organizer. Whatever that is." As if that were his campaign slogan: Obama - he was a community organizer! While it is true that he is a relative newcomer to politics, he has been a U.S. Senator for four years and was an Illinois state senator for eight years before that?

This is not to say that there are no good reasons for voting for McCain. Since we don't have the ability to try both candidates out and see who does a better job, it really is going to come down to how the majority of Americans feel, and who they feel the most comfortable with. Although the job is about ability and not experience, there is little point in debating the issue of McCain's tenure as a senator vs Obama's. Or Bidens' experience vs Palins' for that matter. If certain voters seriously feel that McCain would make a better president then they are obligated to vote their conscience. But if their decisions are based on foolish falsehoods, we have a problem.

The entire NPR piece can be heard here.

1 comment:

Larro FCD said...

I listened to it on air as well and was bothered by the Obama/muslim assertion.

My first reaction was "So what!" "So what if he WERE a Muslim and didn't deny it (never mind he said time and again he is Christian)."

Invariably being Christian is part of the litmus test of attaining the office of commander-in-chief of this country.

I've discussed this with my father-in-law (who is a devout Christian). I'm "out" to him and during one discussion on politics I asked if he would ever vote for somebody "like" me. He knew what I was referring to and I knew what his answer was going to be. No.