Friday, October 3, 2008

I'm not up for debate

I didn't watch the vice presidential debates. I tried to, but I couldn't bring myself to remain tuned in for very long. Sarah Palin didn't collapse into a babbling, stammering puddle of incompetence fast enough for me and I dislike hearing her talk in general. I promised to refrain from personal insults on this blog, so for a refresher, please refer to my one ad hominem post.

I don't particularly like debates to begin with - they aren't really as good an indicator of worth or knowledge as they are about debating skill. There are too many rules and not enough nuance. There isn't enough forward motion - I love listening to Barack Obama's speeches (not so much Joe Biden - nothing personal, Joe, but it's nothing special) but he doesn't get enough room to move in debates. I'll try to watch the next round of debates but I can't promise to stick with it. I don't know how much of McCain's pasted-on smirk I can handle.

No comments: