Tuesday, November 11, 2008

My last word on Prop 8

So very, very much has been said about this ridiculous and heartbreaking outcome. I know that I'm tired of reading about it, but I just can't let it go. So here it is, my final thought on this event before I move on and start to fret about other things.

This is the result of religion in public life. This happens in a religious society, not in a secular society. In Saudi Arabia, the government recently made public dog-walking illegal in Riyadh. Why? Because dog-walking can lead to flirting! I realize that there is a bit of a difference here, but it is only really a difference of degrees. At the core, the laws are religious impositions on the lives of others. Religious people don't think that gays should marry. Good for them - don't perform gay weddings, I say. Don't perform gay weddings and talk about how they will burn in hell for their sins. Heck, they can name their churches things like "First Baptist Church of Gays Will Burn In Hell," or "United Methodist Church of Only Heterosexuals" or "Our Lady of Virgins Until Marriage Between Man and Woman." They can think all they want to, but if they want to live in a true religious society, they should move to the Middle East. Or, apparently, just turn USA into a theocracy too.

I don't actually think that America will become a theocracy, but this past vote certainly didn't help matters. And this is another reason that atheists are important. We may never outnumber the religious, but if we don't make our voices heard, people may forget that we're here. This is why I talk about it. Sure, I'm not gay, so this marriage ban has little or no practical impact on my life. But there can be no justification outside of religion for this ban's passage. As such, I have everything to fear. If religious bigots can pass this law, who's to say that they can't pass another law that may impact my rights?

I'm not usually such a conspiracy theorist, so this is a little melodramatic for me. Still, although I doubt that I'll ever be required to go to a church or show a crucifix tattoo to enter a government building, it is important to recognize a bad law when we see it.

Keith Olbermann has a typically fantastic word about this subject. Now I'll shut up about it and go about my life.

1 comment:

Fourstorymistake said...

Great post. I loved Keith Olbermann's thoughts on it too.