Friday, November 14, 2008

The War on Christmas

Oh my god! There is no war on Christmas! Atheists aren't trying to ban Christmas. Atheists aren't trying to ban Nativity scenes from front lawns. In fact, the only people doing any complaining at all are the Christians who can't understand why someone would want to advertise their lack of faith on a bus. Judging from all the videos (no links here - I'm sure you've seen enough of these clips already) from Fox News (go figure), the fact that atheists even exist is a bit of a surprise.

I love Christmas. I love giving and receiving gifts. I love the cookies and pie and cake and candy. I love the cold weather (although we'll have to see how that turns out now that I live in a place that may have some genuinely cold weather), I love the music and all the goofy traditions: stockings, trees, decorating the trees, stuffing the stockings. I love watching movies: A Christmas Story, Home Alone, How the Grinch Stole Christmas (not the Jim Carrey monstrosity), Bad Santa and all the rest. Honestly, only A Charlie Brown Christmas is slightly over-the-top on the Christ-ness, and I do not think that it would be made today. Obviously, since I am not religious, I have no qualms about how commercial the holiday has become and have no problem enjoying the shopping malls festooned with tinsel and their ugly, dusty ornaments. I even enjoy Christmas Cards (this year I promise to send one to everyone I know - If you want a card from me and don't think I know you, feel free to email me your name and address and I would be happy to mail you some paper).

And the offending bus ad is incredibly seasonal and Christmasy. I do not find it over-the-top, and anyone who wants to take offense (Bill Donohue, entire Fox News team) is really just trying to start a war.

1 comment:

Fourstorymistake said...

I love that ad! Do they make that as a bumper sticker?