Wednesday, December 31, 2008

2008 grab bag

First of all, I have to apologize for the long delay between posts. I haven't given up, but I do feel sort of intellectually drained. I guess all the sugar and baked goods went to my head. My particular line of work is not terribly busy around the holidays - any holiday, in fact - and such a slowdown apparently slows my brain down too. I haven't found anything interesting to write about, and I know that can't be true. Maybe it's just laziness. Regardless of the cause, I plan to pick my pace back up in 2009.

Now is the time, however, when we look back on the year behind us. Although a solar year is reasonably well defined, January 1st seems completely arbitrary to me. I think that an equinox of some sort (the Western chauvinist in me would lean toward the Vernal equinox) would be a good choice - you know, start the new year with the first flowers of spring. It would make a great deal more sense. But what do I know? No matter how we choose to organize our time, our planet has made another orbit around our star and this is as good a time as any to look back at what has happened in the meantime.

I'm going to have to keep this fairly short. I am determined to say goodbye to 2008, but try as I might, I've gotten far too philosophical about being a vegetarian and a new citizen of Raleigh - the two biggest events of my own personal life. I really enjoyed 2008. It was a fantastic year for me, full of positive changes and exciting developments and new clothes.

I will list things that I liked about the year in no order and with no explanation. Many of these things did not originate this year, but have a special meaning to me anyway.
  • Toyota Yaris
  • Raleigh
  • Morningstar Farms
  • Barack Obama
  • Mad Men
  • Pushing Daisies
  • The Dark Knight
  • Lilly's Pizza
  • Park Ave CDs
  • Land's End
  • Loose-leaf tea
  • Barnie's Coffee (Santa's White Christmas)
  • Local honey
  • Swimming in a non-alligator-infested lake
  • The Ringling Museum
  • The Norman Rockwell Exhibit
  • Battlestar Galactica
  • Greyhounds and Whippets
  • Leaves that turn colors in the Fall
  • Winters that are actually cold
  • Whole Foods
  • Mellow Mushroom
  • Wall-E
  • NPR
  • Hard Rock Hotel
  • NC State Fair
  • Hanging Rock Park
  • The Soup
  • Martinis
  • IKEA
It was difficult, in fact, to remember things that happened in the earlier part of the year. I have to assume that it was a pretty boring time.

No comments: