Wednesday, January 7, 2009

2009: once more around the sun

I'm not too big on resolutions. I've already mentioned that I find calendar years to be arbitrary, and if I make a life-changing decision, I'm no more likely to keep that commitment if it is made in April, May or December than if made in January. But, since I'm not made completely of stone, I'll pay a foolish tradition a little lip service.

  • First off, I intend to write more. Both in blog form and otherwise. I say this every year and fail nearly every time, although having a blog does help tremendously. 2008 was my first year with a blog.
  • Second, I plan to travel more. I have lived in Raleigh for nearly six months already and have barely begun to explore my new home. In Orlando, there was not much to do in a six-hour drive: Miami, Tampa, St Petersburg, St Augustine, Savannah... fun now and then, but still pretty restrictive. In 2009 I want to see the ocean and the mountains, I want to visit both Washington, D.C. and New York City.
  • Third, I will donate blood on a regular basis. In Orlando I donated blood whenever the bus came to my hotel, but that was only three or four times a year. I did not seek it out. Giving blood is such an easy thing to do, that I am ashamed to say that I haven't done it in nearly a year.
  • Fourth, I want to cook more regularly. We eat out a lot, and when we eat in, we eat prepared meals - frozen pizzas and chicken-flavored veggie nuggets (really good, believe it or not). I miss cooking. Being vegetarian has taken some of the fun out of the kitchen, because it is more difficult to be passionate about cooking vegetables than a roast. Regardless, I do want to spend more time making food myself.
I think that's about all the goals I can set for myself. There are some that I would like to put down: read more, eat less, get more exercise, save more money, learn a foreign language - but I know that would just be setting myself up for failure.
Maybe next year.

No comments: