Thursday, January 29, 2009

New words

I, for one, love the English language. I love the way it sounds, I love the way it looks, and I absolutely love how diverse and magnificent the vocabulary is (although I just used the word 'love' four times in a row). I am shamefully monolingual; four years of High School and college German left me with little to show for it and although I have been interested in the Rosetta Stone program, I have yet to put my money and time where my mouth is.

Regardless, I enjoy that new words can pop up at any time and all it takes is a little bit of traction before the word becomes a genuine member of the English language. Even perversions and mistakes can become words if they stick around long enough: 'interwebs, 'pwned,' 'frack.'

So in the grand tradition of English, and courtesy of Dan Savage, the world has been introduced to a new word: Saddlebacking.

More on why this word deserves to be adopted by everyone who loves language later.

No comments: