Saturday, April 4, 2009

A year and a day

I am happy to celebrate this blog's first birthday. And I am celebrating it like I celebrate all birthdays - a day late. As a lazy, frustrated writer with few actual publications in his portfolio, this blog has provided me with an invaluable outlet for my creative urges. It has also given me a place to air out my thoughts. I know that this blog can sometimes look like an extended rant or a bitter bumper sticker parade where I just flaunt my opinion. That is not - and never was - the intent. In the process of publishing an idea, it helps me to see it from different angles. Sometimes I end up changing my own mind. If this is not in evidence, the fault lies in my 'backspace' key, which I too often use to excise a discarded idea before the post goes out.

This blog started out with near exclusive emphasis on exploring my new relationship with atheism. Over the past year, I have taken the opportunity to push through some of the lingering issues I have with religion. The process has been immensely helpful to the discovery of my own identity. I love the combination of anonymity and publicity that this medium provides. It is amazingly liberating to have my opinions and philosophy so openly available to anyone who is interested. It saves me the trouble of explaining myself.

As I have said before, I do not intend to keep up the heavy emphasis on atheism as a theme for the blog, although it will doubtless be present and visible. I am also relatively busy, so I will not be able to post as frequently as I have in the past. I do make every attempt to write at least one post a week, typically on Wednesday or Thursday.

This is the part where I thank you for reading. It is more encouranging than you can imagine to see that I am being read by an international audience. I am flattered and honored. Please feel free to comment on any of my posts. Feel free to promote your own blogs here as well. If you don't have a blog, I encourage you to start one. It's been a fantastic experience.

No comments: