Sunday, August 8, 2010

Prepare for Another Wave of Poorly Reasoned Arguments

I'm really very happy (although hardly surprised) that California's infamous Prop 8 was overturned. I'm even more pleased with the language the judge used in his ruling. "Moral disapproval alone is an improper basis on which to deny rights to gay men and women." Well put, because it cuts to the heart of the anti-gay marriage argument: aside from moral disapproval, there is no argument.

And yet I am not happy that we are now subject to another round of poorly reasoned (if reasoned at all) arguments why gay marriage will destroy our country. In theory, I respect the views of anyone. To be clear, I respect the right of anyone to hold any kind of view. But I don't feel any obligation to respect the particular views of everyone and I absolutely do not respect the views of anti-gay marriage advocates. They simply have no facts on their side. No matter how their argument is framed, no matter where it comes from, be it the Bible or long disproven "facts," once reality and science have torn away the irrelevancies and ignorance, it comes out to "Gays are icky and I don't like them."

I know plenty of people who are against gay marriage and I would love to have more respect for their arguments, so I would love to be proven wrong about this, but it simply won't happen. I've heard all of their arguments and they are weak and pitiful; they are all bark and no bite. I'm glad to live in an age where every published word and every spoken opinion is caught forever in the internet, like moths in a spiderweb. This way we can go back and compare ideas from today to the ideas of the future and we can laugh at the conservative politicians who will inevitably insist that they were for gay rights all along.

No comments: