Wednesday, September 29, 2010

Vegetarian Evangelism (I want to give you a book!)

I recently read Jonathan Safran Foer's book Eating Animals. Although I was already a vegetarian, it did inspire me to be a better vegetarian - that is, I no longer eat fish and I am trying to cut back on dairy products. Before becoming vegetarian, I wrestled with the idea for quite a while. If this book were available at the time, I am sure it would have been hugely influential in my decision to stop eating meat.

I really cannot recommend the book highly enough, and I truly believe in what it says. Therefore, I have an offer: if you want to learn more about being a vegetarian, I want you to have a copy of the book. I only have a limited number of them, so this is an offer for the unconverted.

This is a very important issue to me, and I believe that the moral choice is obvious. I am convinced that my fellow humans would not support the factory farm industry if they were more aware of the conditions and the way that the animals are treated. This is my attempt to test that hypothesis.

There are no strings attached to this. Actual vegetarian conversion is not a condition, but if you find that the book has changed your life in some way, I would love to hear about it.

If you would like a copy of the book, please email me and we will work out the shipping details.

5 comments:

God Obscures Perception said...

I'm already a vegetarian (I talk about it a lot on my
otherblog), but I've been wanting to read that one for awhile. Maybe it will turn me into a pure vegan? I find that there are a lot of people who intentionally remain ignorant about the American food industry because they don't want to change. They avoid exposing themselves to the hard truth because they don't want to feel guilty. It's pretty sad.

Christopher said...

sadly, I have told friends of the conditions in factory farms and they go "aww, isn't that said" and then proceed to devour their steak." They constantly say "but it tastes good" which makes me want to strangle and shake them, but alas, I have no idea how to get through to them that animals are not there for us to torture and consume. I am a vegan so my views may differ a bit from yours but at least you understand the horror of factory farms

nathaniel wallace said...

Christopher: I don't think that my views differ from yours. I think that your resolve is stronger than mine. I am making a conscious effort to eat as few dairy products as possible, but it is taking longer than I had hoped to adjust to the change. The primary obstacle is pizza.
But I feel guilty whenever I eat pizza. I count that as progress.

Nelle said...

Just got the book today! Thank you! I most certainly will pass it on. I have several "on the fence" quasi-sometime vegetarian friends who should definitely read it. Again, THANK YOU!

Christopher said...

Its one of the few things I took a very quick moral stance on. I took a Contemporary Moral Problems class, animal rights came up and I became a vegetarian overnight and then the next day I became a vegan and have been one for over a year now. My conviction stands strong even if its irony is constantly assaulting me. My veganism exists within a moral nihilist who tries to place up a structure of logical ethics to make sense of my philosophy. It makes for an interesting battle inside my head. Just keep it up man, if I can be vegan deep in the Bible Belt where they don't even know what a vegan is, you can to.