Monday, June 27, 2011

Cloud Music

I'm old enough (barely) to remember the emergence of Compact Discs into the music market. I remember my family getting vinyl records in the mail and I had quite a number of cassettes that I loved madly. Truthfully, however, CDs have been the media of my life. I remember clearly our very first CD player and the first CD I ever bought (Hunt for Red October soundtrack). I have quite a fondness for CDs. They are convenient, elegant and sturdy. I still love music stores (more on that in a bit) They will very likely be around for the foreseeable future.

We have a very large CD collection (that's it to the left).  It represents a substantial investment in money and time. I am very proud of it, and I love adding to it. When we lived in Orlando, we went to the local independent record store regularly. It was how we found new music.

At first, MP3s were just a convenient way to port around your CD collection. As Napster came and went, and iTunes arrived, digital music established itself as a perfectly viable medium. I resisted. I turned a blind eye to digital music. I proudly announced that my 2GB iPod Nano still had plenty of space on it. I only used it when I walked the dogs, after all. But the digital tide has been coming in.

For me it started with my beloved Android phone - I turned it into a music player and it was so convenient! Then I noticed that, in many cases, MP3 albums were significantly cheaper than CDs. And then the cloud formed. Google Music has been too good to pass up. I'm all in now. Every single CD I own is on the cloud and I can access it from anywhere. I feel kind of guilty about abandoning physical forms of music, but this is so much easier to use and has the potential to revolutionize the way that I listen to music.

Seriously, if you have any desire to try it out, you should request an invite from Google Music.

1 comment:

jorge said...

Jon Pareles of NYT had an interesting take on 6/22: http://www.nytimes.com/2011/06/26/arts/music/new-online-services-offer-hope-to-music-fans.html?_r=1&scp=1&sq=cloud%20music&st=cse

When is a thing not a thing?