Wednesday, April 30, 2008

Hold the Turkey

Two days on, I have come to the conclusion that there is no need to make exceptions for poultry. An animal is an animal. If you see me around town with a chicken sandwich in my hand, feel free to throw a stone at my head. Not to kill me - I'm not the god of the Bible, advocating stoning - but to remind me.

Sure it's a restrictive diet. Sure I'll have to make sacrifices (pardon the expression) to stick to it, but there is no reason that an animal should have to give up its life - the only thing it actually has - just so I can have a slightly tastier sandwich.

I know that simply abstaining from the food will not bring those animals back to life, or even slow down the slaughter - that's a technical term, by the way, and not hyperbole. Nevertheless, it's important to me that I keep away from meat now. I'll have to deal with the problem of eggs and milk products separately. If anyone has any suggestions, I'd love to hear them, but even if I buy free-range eggs and use soy milk, there's still butter and cream and cake and bread and pasta and a whole list of commonly used items that I would have to watch.

It seems absurd from a practical point of view, but logically and morally... it almost seems to be the only option.

No comments: